Overseas visitor married

Overseas Visitors

Visitors from overseas wishing to marry in Australia:

People come from all over the world to marry in our lovely country, and the process is fairly simple.

The legal obligations as set out in this website under “Your Legal Obligations” apply to both Australian residents, as well as overseas residents.

However, here are some useful tips if you are an overseas resident planning to marry in Australia.

  •  Someone who will be authorised and experienced in being able to advise you of the process. You will be taken through each step and shown how straightforward it really is to be married in Australia.
  • Firstly, download a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) at www.ag.gov.au (or your celebrant will email this form straight to you on request).
  • Once you have completed all the required details you will need to have your signatures witnessed by an authorised person, those persons are listed on the Notice just below where you sign (page 4).
    IMPORTANT: It must be one of those persons otherwise the Notice will not be valid and your celebrant will not be able to accept it and lodge it for you.
  • Best practice is to go to either an Australian Embassy in your country, or if this is not convenient, find a Notary Public. A Notary Public is a lawyer often found in a Solicitor’s office, please remember that that not all lawyers are Notaries. Notaries are available worldwide.
  • Your celebrant will require you to email the Notice of Intended Marriage form to them immediately, and will request that soon after, you post the original Notice to them via registered airmail.

Requiring a Fiancé Visa?

Marriage celebrants in Australia are not authorised to provide immigration advice to potential brides or grooms. You must file a Notice of Intended Marriage (NoIM) with your selected celebrant as part of the Fiancé Visa (Prospective Spouse Visa) application. Your celebrant will then issue a letter, addressed to the Embassy where you plan to file your application. Certifying that they have received your Notice for a marriage in Australia on a specific date.

You’ll need to set a date for the wedding, even if that date may need to alter. The original Notice must be kept with your celebrant at all times, but if you need a copy, your celebrant will provide you with one.

Contact me today. I am here to assist you in whatever way I can. Or you can email me on kwcelebrant@celebratinsonthebay.com.au

%d bloggers like this: